Sunday, December 18, 2011

Imperial Fruli


On Friday night, I decided to make an impromptu beer from fermentables in my kitchen. I had a tub of frozen prepared strawberries that I was wanting to use and so started raiding the cupboards. I came up with a jar and a bit of maple syrup, some blossom honey, a decent amount of Belgian candi sugar and the majority of a 500g bag of extra pale malt. Checking to make sure I could ferment this bad boy on the night, I found a packet of dry restart yeast and some yeast nutrient (handily!)

The challenge, to make an Imperial Fruli from the above household items. All went well and I managed an OG of 1.08, so I should theoretically have a 10% beer on my hands. I think it has definite potential to be rancid, however, it should at least be interesting. The first night I rigged up a blow-off and left the 1 gallon demijohn in the sink in case it went crazy. It was fairly slow to start but once the heating belt was applied the next morning it really took off. It's now day 2 and the beer is fermenting away nicely...

1 comment:

  1. This beer fermented solidly for about 3 days total and we bottled it tonight (day 6). FG was 1.012 giving an abv of 8.9% not too far off my guestimate. Tastes surprisingly good too, quite peachy overall with alcohol fairly present. Came out a cloudy blonde colour but I'm hoping it will drop clear eventually (fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete